Thursday 17 May 2007

What is normal?


I wrote in an email the other day, that "I talk to dogs better than I talk to people". Although I don't have endless conversations with my dogs, it got me thinking. Sometimes (well most of the time) I prefer dogs to people. People are complicated, and most of the time I worry about saying the wrong thing. Some of the time I think I sound weird, even though people say I come across as confident. I sometimes can't find the right words, or I don't say what I mean. The words flow fluidly in my head - it's just having the confidence to say things out loud. I shouldn't really complain because I used to have zero confidence, and I just wouldn't have been able to do the stuff I'm doing now. I used to dream of a normal life when I was down, and it makes me feel a little teary to think that in some ways I have achieved that. People take normality for granted - but I never will.